Sunday, March 6, 2011

Veggie Tales

Let's get one thing straight-- I love grocery stores. But when work gets busier, going to the grocery store is one of the last things I want to spend my free time doing.

So I devised a plan that would make it so I only had to go to the grocery store once every other month. It was a three-pronged approach involving (1) Costco, (2) shelf-stable soy milk, and (3) a produce delivery service. It was genius, or so I thought.

My first shipment of vegetables came. It was huge. More than huge. And on top of that, it was filled with things that required cooking, slicing, or baking (i.e., effort). That was not what I had signed up for. To avoid a 2-hour trip to the grocery store, I ended up spending many more hours baking squash, juicing beets, stir-frying baby bok choy, and looking at a spiky romanesca (below) that was frankly just weirding me out.

Maybe one day I'll sign up again when I'm ready for a cooking adventure, but for now, it's back to the weekly grocery store trips.


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. k, that *is* just weird. is it especially healthy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ew. that romanesca is creepy me out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romanesca? Isn't that supposed to be some kind of lettuce? That does not look normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you guys Lauren!! You come home anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cracks me up - I am in awe you could even come up with enough things to make with that huge pile.

    Thinking of you guys - love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristi, I know, right? I had never heard of it before. Apparently it is a cousin o the cauliflower, so I guess it's decently healthy.

    Lisa, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    Valerie, agreed. By the way, I officially don't like vegetables anymore. Never thought that day would come post age four. I am regressing.

    Allison, I miss you too! I was so sad I didn't get to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with you guys this year! We're hoping to be able to come back for Christmas this year.

    Brit, I bet you could have shown those vegetables who's boss. I love looking at the beautiful pictures of the things you come up with! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty incredible. I'm fairly certain I've never consciously eaten at least 36% of the things on your counter there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny, Lauren! I actually started it out recently, and I was also overwhelmed by the amount of veggies that was inside the box! Let's see how long I last :p

    ReplyDelete